Based in USA/Japan/UK
Press / Business contact:
At Abyssal Arts, we're focused on telling stories driven by interactions between the players and us as the developer. Games are an interactive medium, and we want to use that to create experiences that could not exist in any other way, while also providing exciting, engaging gameplay.
Abyssal Arts was founded by Keaton White, a former Production Manager in Global R+D at Capcom Japan, when he moved 6,000 miles across the planet to marry his college sweetheart. Teaming up with Moira Katson, who topped Amazon's charts in Sci-Fi and Fantasy as a self-published author 3 times in 3 years, and Ryan Becker, an immensely talented fellow game designer, we began exploring how to create interactive stories and worlds with a human touch, which ultimately lead to City of the Shroud®. Working with fellow industry veterans, programmers, and artists, Abyssal Arts' goal is to create games that push narrative boundaries while maintaining a satisfying action-game crunch.Present Day
After successfully Kickstarting City of the Shroud®, the team is preparing the game for release on Steam for Windows and Mac OS. The game has been featured on the likes of Kotaku and Engadget, as well as selected as a "Best Of" at shows where the team has exhibited preview builds. The game is still in development.
Introducing the Duelist YouTube
Kickstarter/Greenlight Trailer w/Developer Interview YouTube
Fan Reactions at Insomnia to City of the Shroud YouTube
There are far more images available for Abyssal Arts, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- 'City of the Shroud' is an RPG with a truly player-driven story', Engadget featured City of the Shroud and interviewed Keaton and Moira about the story mechanics: (October 2016)
- Kickstarter Funded in 9 Days, City of the Shroud's Kickstarter campaign crossed the funding threshold only 9 days after launch: (April 2016)
- Featured on Gaiscioch, City of the Shroud was featured on Gaiscioch during our Kickstarter campaign: (April 2016)
- "A Closer Look at City of the Shroud", City of the Shroud was featured on GameSpew during our Kickstarter campaign: (April 2016)
- RedBull's "10 Exciting Indie Games That You Need To Play", Selected as one of RedBull's "indie games to get excited about": (April 2016)
- GameSpew's Best of EGX Rezzed, Selected as one of the top ten best games at EGX Rezzed: (April 2016)
- City of the Shroud Featured on Kotaku UK, 51 British Games to Look Out for in 2016: (January 2016)
- Norwich Gaming Festival, Official Games Line-Up Selection: First-round selection for the games lineup at Norwich Gaming Festival (January 2016)
- GDC Talk, Indie Outsourcing for Any Budget: Hour-long GDC session discussing the ingenuity and business innovation that has gone into bringing City of the Shroud™ to life.
- Insomnia 56, 58, Scotland, and 59 Indie Zone, Official Selection: Awarded highly competitive spaces in the Indie Zone at multiple Insomnias
- "A game to look out for."
- Keza MacDonald, Kotaku
- "A freakin’ awesome game."
- Joseph Sale, GameSpew
- "An RPG with a truly player-driven story... Very, very ambitious."
- Aaron Souppouris, Engadget
- "A refreshing take on the genre."
- Zachery Bennett, Entertainment Buddha
- "A world rich with magic, mystery and political intrigue."
- Corina Dee, Alpha Beta Gamer
- "The gameplay is fantastic."
- Pierre-Yves, CGR
Personal tweets by Keaton at twitter.com/Shibusuke.
Personal tweets by Moira at twitter.com/moirakatson.
Read about the latest haps for Abyssal Arts at abyssalarts.com/blog.
Abyssal Arts Forums
You can always find us on our forums at abyssalarts.com/forums.
City of the Shroud™ Official Page
The official page for City of the Shroud™ is abyssalarts.com/shroud.
Team & Repeating Collaborator
Managing Director, Producer
Lead Game Designer
Web Designer, Systems Engineer
Composer, Sound Designer