Based in USA/Japan/UK
Iskendrun is desperate, mired in violence and corruption...and caged by a magical Shroud that has enveloped the city. Knowing that someone, somewhere harbors the one who has trapped them all, the city’s leaders descend toward civil war as they attempt to find the truth - and you, as a player, must search with them. Choose your allies wisely and fight to build their strength, for your choices, and those of every other player, will determine the fate of the city. The story is a live campaign, and the players are the author as much as we are; we write the general arc, and you and every other player determine the fate of the city: whom do you support? Which factions will survive the coming strife?
When we set out to make City of the Shroud™, we centered our design around a connection with the players. We wanted the experience to be crafted so that the players and the game itself reacted to one another instead of providing a typical one-way experience - in other words, we wanted a truly player-driven narrative. We realized that all the tools to do just that were available to us, and that we had a team capable of pulling off this crazy undertaking. The decision to pursue our passion has dramatically influenced both the game and our lives, as we gave up our old jobs, either in AAA or in 9-5, for independence and the creative freedom to chase our passions. It also enabled Keaton to move halfway around the planet to marry the love of his life, so that’s pretty cool too.
- Beautiful tactical RPG written by chart-topping author Moira Katson
- New approach to interactive fiction: the story evolves over 4 episodes based on your and every other player’s actions
- Brand-new type of tactical gameplay: control your units in real-time, use fighting-game style inputs to trigger special attacks, and chain them together into powerful combos
- Deep combo and stat system to customize your character to suit your playstyle
- Online VS multiplayer: build up your team and challenge your friends
- Mod support: customize the appearance of your units in battle
- A distinctive world, beautifully realized in 2D and 3D
Introducing the Duelist YouTube
Kickstarter/Greenlight Trailer w/Developer Interview YouTube
Fan Reactions at Insomnia YouTube
How to Play in 60 Seconds YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- Andrew’s Picks, Cardboard Console, Best Impressions of EGX Rezzed 2016: (April 2016)
- Red Bull, Indie Games to Seek Out at EGX Rezzed: (April 2016)
- GameSpew (April 2016), Top 10 Indie Games to Watch Out for from EGX Rezzed 2016 (#5): (April 2016)
- City of the Shroud Featured on Kotaku UK, 51 British Games to Look Out for in 2016: (January 2016)
- Norwich Gaming Festival, Official Games Line-Up Selection: First-round selection for the games lineup at Norwich Gaming Festival (January 2016)
- GDC Talk, Indie Outsourcing for Any Budget: Hour-long GDC session discussing the ingenuity and business innovation that has gone into bringing City of the Shroud™ to life.
- Insomnia 56 Indie Zone, Official Selection: Awarded one of the highly competitive spaces in Insomnia’s Indie Zone (December, 2015)
- "An RPG with a truly player-driven story. ... Very, very ambitious."
- Aaron Souppouris, Engadget
- "A game to look out for."
- Keza MacDonald, Kotaku
- "A phenomenal video game in the making."
- Joseph Sale, GameSpew
- "Incredibly exciting new tactical RPG."
- Ant Meyer, Cinelinx
- "Worth seeking out."
- Dan Griliopoulos, Red Bull
- "A world rich with magic, mystery and political intrigue."
- Corina Dee, Alpha Beta Gamer
- "It... all works rather well."
- Pierre Fouquet, GameSkinny
- "A rush of gameplay that is hard to put down."
- Pierre-Yves, CGR
- "A refreshing take on the genre."
- Zachary Bennett, Entertainment Buddha
Abyssal Arts allows for the contents of City of the Shroud to be published through video broadcasting services for any commercial or non-commercial purposes. Monetization of videos created containing assets from City of the Shroud is legally & explicitly allowed by Abyssal Arts. This permission can be found in writing at http://www.abyssalarts.com/presskit/sheet.php?p=city_of_the_shroud.
Personal tweets by Keaton at twitter.com/Shibusuke.
Personal tweets by Moira at twitter.com/moirakatson.
Personal tweets by Chris at twitter.com/Nairns.
Download the Prototype
Get the latest version from abyssal-arts.itch.io/city-of-the-shroud.
Read about the latest haps for Abyssal Arts at abyssalarts.com.
Abyssal Arts Forums
You can always find us on our forums at abyssalarts.com/forums.
About Abyssal Arts
Abyssal Arts is an international indie game house headed by Keaton White. Its members share a love of games and whiskey, and so after much considered thought and a coin flip between a distillery and a game house, they went with the thing they actually knew how to do.
More information on Abyssal Arts, our logo & relevant media are available here.
City of the Shroud Credits
Managing Director, Producer
Lead Game Designer
Web Designer, Systems Engineer
Chris J. Nairn
Composer, Sound Designer