Based in USA/Japan/UK
DescriptionEvery decision by every player influences the story for everyone.
The story has only begun - the players will finish it. Your choices, and the choices of every player, will drive a living story and determine the fate of the city of Iskendrun. Paired with an explosive real-time, combo-based battle system, your decisions will change the story forever. Choose your allies wisely.
When we set out to make City of the Shroud®, we centered our design around a connection with the players. We wanted the experience to be crafted so that the players and the game itself reacted to one another instead of providing a one-way experience - in other words, we wanted a truly player-driven narrative. We realized that all the tools to do just that were available to us, and that we had a team capable of pulling off this crazy undertaking. The decision to pursue our passion has dramatically influenced both the game and our lives, inspiring us to embrace independence and the creative freedom to chase our passions. It also enabled Keaton to move halfway around the planet to marry the love of his life, so that’s pretty cool too.
- The story is a living episodic campaign: in each chapter, every player's actions impact how the world, changing how the story unfolds for the entire community in the next chapter
- 4 chapters: each chapter is crafted based on the cumulative influence of every player's choices and actions from the previous episodes
- Real-time, combo-based battle system: think on your feet and chain your attacks together to defeat your opponents
- Play your way: an optional “Wait Mode” pauses the action while you enter combos, and you can choose to slow down or speed up the gameplay to suit your playstyle
- Multiple difficulty options let you choose between focusing on narrative and testing your tactical prowess
- Online PVP multiplayer
- Deep combo and stat system lets you customize your team to suit your playstyle
- Steamworks support for customizing the appearance of your units in battle
- A distinctive world, beautifully realized in 2D and 3D
Release Window Announcement YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- Indie MEGABOOTH Official Selection: PAX East Showcase 2018 : (April 2018)
- 'City of the Shroud' is an RPG with a truly player-driven story', Engadget featured City of the Shroud and interviewed Keaton and Moira about the story mechanics: (October 2016)
- Kickstarter Funded in 9 Days, City of the Shroud's Kickstarter campaign crossed the funding threshold only 9 days after launch: (April 2016)
- Featured on Gaiscioch, City of the Shroud was featured on Gaiscioch during our Kickstarter campaign: (April 2016)
- "A Closer Look at City of the Shroud", City of the Shroud was featured on GameSpew during our Kickstarter campaign: (April 2016)
- RedBull's "10 Exciting Indie Games That You Need To Play", Selected as one of RedBull's "indie games to get excited about": (April 2016)
- GameSpew's Best of EGX Rezzed, Selected as one of the top ten best games at EGX Rezzed: (April 2016)
- City of the Shroud Featured on Kotaku UK, 51 British Games to Look Out for in 2016: (January 2016)
- Norwich Gaming Festival, Official Games Line-Up Selection: First-round selection for the games lineup at Norwich Gaming Festival (January 2016)
- GDC Talk, Indie Outsourcing for Any Budget: Hour-long GDC session discussing the ingenuity and business innovation that has gone into bringing City of the Shroud™ to life.
- Insomnia 56, 58, Scotland, and 59 Indie Zone, Official Selection: Awarded highly competitive spaces in the Indie Zone at multiple Insomnias
Abyssal Arts allows for the contents of City of the Shroud to be published through video broadcasting services for any commercial or non-commercial purposes. Monetization of videos created containing assets from City of the Shroud is legally & explicitly allowed by Abyssal Arts. This permission can be found in writing at http://www.abyssalarts.com/presskit/sheet.php?p=city_of_the_shroud.
Personal tweets by Keaton at twitter.com/Shibusuke.
Personal tweets by Moira at twitter.com/moirakatson.
Personal tweets by Chris at twitter.com/Nairns.
Download the Prototype
Get the latest version from abyssal-arts.itch.io/city-of-the-shroud.
Read about the latest haps for Abyssal Arts at abyssalarts.com.
Abyssal Arts Forums
You can always find us on our forums at abyssalarts.com/forums.
About Abyssal Arts
Abyssal Arts is an international indie game house headed by Keaton White. Its members share a love of games and whiskey, and so after much considered thought and a coin flip between a distillery and a game house, they went with the thing they actually knew how to do.
More information on Abyssal Arts, our logo & relevant media are available here.
City of the Shroud Credits
Managing Director, Producer
Lead Game Designer
Web Designer, Systems Engineer
Chris J. Nairn
Composer, Sound Designer