Based in USA/Japan/UK
Iskendrun is desperate, mired in violence and corruption...and caged by a magical Shroud that has enveloped the city. Knowing that someone, somewhere is harboring the one who has trapped them all, the city’s leaders descend toward civil war as they attempt to find the truth - and you, as a player, must search with them. Choose your allies wisely and fight to build their strength, for your choices, and those of every other player, will determine the fate of the city. The story is a live campaign, and the players are the author as much as we are; we write the story around the decisions of and you and every other player: whom do you support? Which factions will survive the coming strife? And what will be the ultimate fate of the Iskendrun?
When we set out to make City of the Shroud®, we centered our design around a connection with the players. We wanted the experience to be crafted so that the players and the game itself reacted to one another instead of providing a one-way experience - in other words, we wanted a truly player-driven narrative. We realized that all the tools to do just that were available to us, and that we had a team capable of pulling off this crazy undertaking. The decision to pursue our passion has dramatically influenced both the game and our lives, inspiring us to embrace independence and the creative freedom to chase our passions. It also enabled Keaton to move halfway around the planet to marry the love of his life, so that’s pretty cool too.
- Real-time, combo-based battle system: think on your feet and chain together your attacks to defeat your opponents.
- The story is a living episodic campaign: every player's actions impact how the story unfolds for the entire community.
- Written by multiple chart-topping independent author Moira Katson, who has hit #1 on Amazon's Sci-Fi and Fantasy charts 3 times in 3 years.
- 4 chapters: each chapter is crafted based on the cumulative influence of the players' choices and actions from the previous chapter.
- Online PVP multiplayer
- Deep combo and stat system lets you customize your character to suit your playstyle
- Mod support: customize the appearance of your units in battle
- A distinctive world, beautifully realized in 2D and 3D
Introducing the Duelist YouTube
Kickstarter/Greenlight Trailer w/Developer Interview YouTube
Fan Reactions at Insomnia YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- 'City of the Shroud' is an RPG with a truly player-driven story', Engadget featured City of the Shroud and interviewed Keaton and Moira about the story mechanics: (October 2016)
- Kickstarter Funded in 9 Days, City of the Shroud's Kickstarter campaign crossed the funding threshold only 9 days after launch: (April 2016)
- Featured on Gaiscioch, City of the Shroud was featured on Gaiscioch during our Kickstarter campaign: (April 2016)
- "A Closer Look at City of the Shroud", City of the Shroud was featured on GameSpew during our Kickstarter campaign: (April 2016)
- RedBull's "10 Exciting Indie Games That You Need To Play", Selected as one of RedBull's "indie games to get excited about": (April 2016)
- GameSpew's Best of EGX Rezzed, Selected as one of the top ten best games at EGX Rezzed: (April 2016)
- City of the Shroud Featured on Kotaku UK, 51 British Games to Look Out for in 2016: (January 2016)
- Norwich Gaming Festival, Official Games Line-Up Selection: First-round selection for the games lineup at Norwich Gaming Festival (January 2016)
- GDC Talk, Indie Outsourcing for Any Budget: Hour-long GDC session discussing the ingenuity and business innovation that has gone into bringing City of the Shroud™ to life.
- Insomnia 56, 58, Scotland, and 59 Indie Zone, Official Selection: Awarded highly competitive spaces in the Indie Zone at multiple Insomnias
- "A game to look out for."
- Keza MacDonald, Kotaku
- "A freakin’ awesome game."
- Joseph Sale, GameSpew
- "An RPG with a truly player-driven story... Very, very ambitious."
- Aaron Souppouris, Engadget
- "A refreshing take on the genre."
- Zachery Bennett, Entertainment Buddha
- "A world rich with magic, mystery and political intrigue."
- Corina Dee, Alpha Beta Gamer
- "The gameplay is fantastic."
- Pierre-Yves, CGR
Abyssal Arts allows for the contents of City of the Shroud to be published through video broadcasting services for any commercial or non-commercial purposes. Monetization of videos created containing assets from City of the Shroud is legally & explicitly allowed by Abyssal Arts. This permission can be found in writing at http://www.abyssalarts.com/presskit/sheet.php?p=city_of_the_shroud.
Personal tweets by Keaton at twitter.com/Shibusuke.
Personal tweets by Moira at twitter.com/moirakatson.
Personal tweets by Chris at twitter.com/Nairns.
Read about the latest haps for Abyssal Arts at abyssalarts.com.
Abyssal Arts Forums
You can always find us on our forums at abyssalarts.com/forums.
About Abyssal Arts
At Abyssal Arts, we're focused on telling stories driven by interactions between the players and us as the developer. Games are an interactive medium, and we want to use that to create experiences that could not exist in any other way, while also providing exciting, engaging gameplay.
More information on Abyssal Arts, our logo & relevant media are available here.
City of the Shroud Credits
Managing Director, Producer
Lead Game Designer
Web Designer, Systems Engineer
Chris J. Nairn
Composer, Sound Designer