We’ve been working on City of the Shroud for a while now - you may have seen our post celebrating our one year anniversary. In that time, we’ve learned a lot and iterated on our designs more times than I can recall. On the eve of releasing the prototype, I thought I’d share the general evolution of the project so you can get a feel for our development process and see how dedicated we are to making the best game possible.
When we set out to make a game that blended fighting game mechanics and tactical RPGs, we knew it was going to be a challenge. We tested and iterated for months to get even basic elements worked out. The key was nailing the feel of the gameplay itself, but the environment and how the player engaged with it underlined the entire experience. As a result, we needed to ensure that the environment never got in the way and, where possible, added to the experience.
City of the Shroud began as a very basic map of several grey cubes. We started with a wide degree of terrain variation to test height and the basic movement system. The game had fall damage, advantages to being higher than the target, and the ability to understand elevation differences when navigating titles. It looked like this: